Friday, October 30, 2009
Technology's Great
Just a quick note on how great technology is. The first time I deployed for 6 months was in 1989 to Panama. The only way I could contact Val was to make a morale call through the base operator. They supposedly kept track of how often you called and could limit the phone calls to 15 minutes (although Val and I were able to talk often and longer than 15 minutes). Still, there were times when it was hit-or-miss. Now (and I can’t believe it’s been 20 years!) while waiting here at Manas, I’ve been able to e-mail over a free, wireless Internet connection (that’s so 2000), video teleconference (aka Skype) with Val and the kids, IM/chat in real-time with Emily and Gene (who I noticed was on-line while Emily and I were chatting), and check various blog sites and Facebook pages (although Val and I are a little nervous about getting in too deep with the social networking). It can get a little overwhelming (I guess that’s my word of the night), but it’s comforting to know that there’s several different ways to keep in contact with family and friends.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Eric--
ReplyDeleteWow...exciting...scary...lonely..all at once. I'll be following your adventures.
Tim
Eric, what a great idea for this blog. I will be following it and also praying for your safe return!!
ReplyDelete