Tuesday, November 10, 2009

First Care Package

I got my first care package from home yesterday! I picked it up just before lunch and the funny thing was that I could tell I had a huge grin on my face all the way back to my tent. I felt like a little kid that had just found some treasure or gotten a gift from Santa. It was exciting. After just two days here I realized there were a few home-medicine items that I needed that I couldn’t get here. I asked Val to send them, along with granola bars and a few one or two Euro coins for snacks. Of course, being so wonderfully caring, Val sent three magazines, two boxes of granola bars, a bag of Hersey kisses, and eight five-Euro bills. Man, now I’m set for awhile. (I did do a mini-binge on the Hersey kisses though. They’re one of my few weaknesses, but I should be able to space them out now.)

And now, I’ve already put in a second request for a care package from home. I need some cold medicine for a runny nose and family photos from the home computer. My PC laptop doesn’t have our family pictures on it because I had to re-format the hard drive and my Mac laptop doesn’t have them because it’s so new (bought it for the deployment) and I didn’t have time to transfer photos before leaving. Unfortunately, Val’s the one left trying to figure out how to save photos and burn a CD on the new Mac desk-top at home. “Upgrading” to Mac sounded like a good idea just before I left, but I didn’t realize how hard would be to learn a new computer system. It’s like Mac purposed tried to make EVERYTHING different. Yeesh. I’m sure it will be great when Val and I learn the system, but until then…”Sorry, Sweetheart.”

1 comment:

  1. So glad you started this blog. I love it. When Todd told me a story about receiving a care package from home when he was away, I envisioned the same big smile on his face. Be safe and I look forward to reading your future blog entries.

    ReplyDelete