Well, it’s been a wonderful break from the deployment. I haven’t written much because I’ve been so busy enjoying my down time. The conference went well, in as much as I contributed some and learned a lot. The actual transportation plan however didn’t go so well and caused the one-week conference to be extended for four more days. While it wasn’t so good for the conference, it did mean that I needed to extend my visit as well. So got to enjoy America even more! It’s been great. I was able to surf iTunes and download more TV shows and new songs. (Josh Ritter – Great Big Mind; Gomez – Airstream Driver; Basia Bulat – Before I Knew; etc.) I caught up on my favorite TV shows. (Heroes – how many times is Sylar going to switch between being a hero or a villain? Lost – loved the two-hour episode, following two separate timelines; they’re not showing yet in Germany, so Val will have to download it from iTunes (hint, hint); and enjoyed the American Idol auditions – how can people be so clueless that they can’t see? And now I get the pants-on-the-ground reference.) I ate out so much (Texas Roadhouse, Olive Garden, Chevy’s, IHOP, Boston Market, Applebee’s, California Pizza Kitchen, etc.) I’m actually looking forward to just grabbing a quick meal at the chow hall. I did a lot of window-shopping since I only brought a carry-on bag and couldn’t take anything additional back to Afghanistan, but it was nice to just look around. And I got to talk to Val at least once a day.
In weird way though, I’m kind of ready to get back to Afghanistan. I know this TDY is just temporary and I need to get back to the deployment so I can start counting down to the end of the deployment. The end of January was the halfway point. Now that it’s February (the shortest month!), it feels like I’m on the downhill side of the deployment. I feel (mentally) recharged and am ready to get back to work, start working out more, and start planning for some family summer-time vacations. Physically, I've been sick the entire time I've been here. I've had a head cold and can't seem to shake it. For some reason, I feel like I'll be able to shake it when I get back to Afghanistan. That seems weird to me, but I felt better when I was there, so that's another reason I'm looking forward to getting back. I’ve just got to get through February, March, and should be home by the end of April. Man, I can’t wait. The family and I have been hanging in there, but it will be so much easier to all be together again.

I hope you do start feeling better when you get back to Afghanistan. Have you ever been sick this long? I can't wait until you get home. Everything is better when you're around! XOXO
ReplyDelete