So just as I make my peace with moving to the transient dorms, they put the move on hold. Word is that the lawyers have raised the issue of the legalities of moving international troops into dorms built with US money, partly due to insurance-like issues (what happens if a German slips in the bathroom and hurts himself?) and partly due to the fairness of the US paying the bill and every other country enjoying the benefit. Trust me, the French aren’t sharing the building they paid for. I’m kind of in that camp, too. I’ve served in the military for 18 and a half years. Why should I cram into a small, 8-man open-bay just to play nice with the international officers that are stationed here too? I’m learning more and more that many of the contributing countries have “national caveats” that keep them from doing specific things, especially when it isn’t specifically protecting their own troops. Yes, it’s great that they’re deployed here with us in Afghanistan, but if, for example, their helicopters will only emergency launch when it’s one of their troops that is hurt, that doesn’t do the rest of us any good. Anyways…! I get to spend a few more days in my spacious, quiet tent. We don’t know when we supposed to move. The Headquarters Support Group actively keeps information from us (a senior enlisted Brit soldier who attends the MWR working group was told he could only send out updates to the British and “not to the Americans”…What kind of “support” is that?). Most people think we’ll move right after the new year. We’ll see. At least it’s been confirmed that they have wireless Internet in the transient dorms, so that will be nice.

No comments:
Post a Comment