Thursday, December 3, 2009

Finally Got a Bottom Bunk

I’m not sure how long ago it happened—over a week ago, maybe two, but I finally got a bottom bunk. A Brit officer that I’d befriended in my first tent stopped by one day at work to let me know he was moving to a different tent that was “practically empty.” He was telling me so I could move down to the bottom bunk that he was using while the Dutch officer was home on leave. He was letting me know because I had given up my “seniority” as a tent resident to let him have it. I was trying to be nice because honestly, I was making me nervous when he climbed into him top bunk (he’s a few years older than me and I’m getting old!). While we were talking, it occurred to us that I could just move over there, too. After he left I practically speed-walked to my tent, grabbed my sleeping bag, and went to the new tent, B8, to claim a bottom bunk. Sure enough, there were two empty bottom bunks left; both closest to the front door. I choose the one to the left, opposite the way the door opens so I wouldn’t get as much as the light coming through. That night I moved the rest of my stuff over and set up my little space. It’s kind of a tight fit, but I don’t have to share space with anyone. In fact, just last night I rearranged my bags and footlocker to give myself a little more room and not bump into the footlocker. So is it everything I dreamed of? For the most part, yes. I have poncho liners on the sides of the bunk bed that blocks the air from blowing on me all night, so I don’t have to sleep with my head under the Gortex sleeping bag anymore. Obviously it’s easier to get in and out of bed or now, to just lean over and grab something out of my footlocker. I’m using the top bunk as storage space (and to ward off any new occupants). And I have a head board to lean against while I watch DVDs or play Spider Solitaire. Although I can’t step up completely, as there’s not really that much head room. Still, it’s better than the top bunk. If they could just get the wireless Internet working like they promised (back on 16 November), I wouldn’t mind staying in the tent my entire time here. Here's my new area: a footlocker for my everyday uniform items and valuables, additional bags stuffed along the side tent wall, cold-weather coat for trips to the shower/bathroom, poncho liners to block the air vents, bath towel on one post and laundry bag on the other. The black square on the left is even a window, should I ever get a day off and want to hang out and watch the clouds go by.

Just a picture of me in my deployment "pajamas", aka PT gear, to give you a scale of "my" living space.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you moving up.....or down....in tent city. Trying to decide what to send you for Christmas. If you have any special requests for cd's or dvd's, let me know. Saw your Turkish leave vehicle. If you could bring one of those home for me, that would be awesome. Gene and I could really get some hunting done in that. Thinking of you, Kirk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moving on up with your deluxe bottom bunk..you finally got a piece of the pie. You might get spoiled with your new living arrangements.

    ReplyDelete